Saturday, August 27, 2005

Pt. Reyes Station Part Seven


Cow tamped
Coarse sand
Dimpled down to the
River's edge
Where stalk and root
And lillies pillow
Bedding down to
Water.

The old barbed fence
Creaks with the wind
As the water silently
Snakes home.

I am a stranger
Here
And the Crow
Asks me what I'm doing
Sitting here
In his marsh.

"Have you come to
Pave
White boy
Flesh-man?
Or will we soon
Be rid of you
Back to your world of
Words and
Plastic?"

I understand the
Pull of Mother Earth
The luxury that is
Simple being
Like the flow
of water
Or the glazed-eye cow
Or the green frog
outstetched in the
Delicate shallow.

But the ground of being
Speaks: By toil shall
We eat from good
Mother Earth
By the sweet sweat of our
Piltdown brows
And if the truth be known
Mother breaks our backs
Of hope
Looking for our Father
in Heaven.

So I am thankful
Father
In the mid-breath of labor
For the silent water
And the pad and stalk
And for children
And the air off
The ocean
I am so thankful
For my friend
And a good walk
And for the quiet
Now.

Can I take the river
with me?
Take back its
Silence? Posted by Picasa

No comments: